Ms. Smarty Pants Ms. Smarty Pants Facebook Instagram Pinterest About Me Shop Freebies Contact Image Map










Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Working with Words

Have you ever started a project that you just fell-in-love with? Well, you are about to see my new love. Here's some background where this new love came from.
I am a HUGE phonemic awareness and phonics teacher. I have found some teachers confuse the two or are not aware of the differences (especially if they are not primary teachers). So in a nutshell phonemic awareness is the listener's ability to hear, manipulate, and identify the smallest sound unit. Phonics is the ability to take those same sounds and connect them to print. 
This year, I found this amazing (but older 1997) book for phonemic awareness at Amazon.com.
It has really made me stop and think about how important this skill is for young readers. I love the  lessons from the book, mostly because they are ENGAGING. Not "just repeat after me" type lessons, but hands-on, show me what you hear lessons. It has some really great ideas which move from the very basic to a deeper understanding of sounds. I LOVE it...
I have searched high and low for a just as wonderful phonics or word work type program. While I love Making Words, (I own the Kindergarten, 1st grade, and 2nd grade books); it only has word building and simple sorting activities. It's not "rigorous" enough for me. It also does not have several phonics skills that we teach in first grade. 
So, with all that being said, my new love was born...
May I introduce Working with Words...
This is the first set I have completed. It has everything you need to teach the sound of "ew,"  as in  "chew." 
It has all the same activities for the spelling patterns /ew/, /ue/, /ui/, and /oo/. The activities are designed to be taught whole group and then used in small groups or centers. 





I am so in-love. It is just what I needed for my students when we return from Spring Break. I am working on a few other Working with Words.
You can check it out at my TPT store... I would love to hear what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...