Ms. Smarty Pants Ms. Smarty Pants Facebook Instagram Pinterest About Me Shop Freebies Contact Image Map










Monday, December 19, 2011

Penguins

Hi all! I have been stuck in the house all day because the tree cutters are here. I had no idea it was an all day project! I had much to be doing other than sitting at home.

So in order to cure my boredom, I got busy with some math stations (among many other things).
I am working on a theme unit of penguins for our return in January. My kiddos have been working on comparing numbers, greater/less than, rounding to the nearest ten, and skip counting. So I made these guys with some cute penguins!
Check it out and leave me some comment love...

I am working on penguin poems, can/have/are charts, and a reading response to Tacky...BUT I need some ideas for literacy stations. I am STUCK on word work...I will be implementing the Daily 5 when we return, and I am trying to come up with some word work stations that can be the same each week with just the word or phonics skill changing...but I am at a loss as where to start! So help a fellow teacher out and tell me what you do for word work. (Note-these kids are VERY visual...so the normal dry erase boards and magnetic letters will not keep them working!) =)

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the freebie! I will be working on penguins in January so thi is great. I usually have my students do rainbow spelling with the words. They can do one letter one color, or one color, one word with crayons or markers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great!! Penguins are great for nonfiction reading!
    Thanks for the freebie!
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue SKies

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I just linked this post on my winter post :D Thank you so much for sharing :D
    http://mrsayalaskinderfun.blogspot.com/2011/12/winter-wonderland.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by! I am working on some other penguin stuff which will be up later this week. I am planning on moving from Tacky and a review of fiction into Second Grade Shenanigans Nonfiction Road Unit with penguins. So excited to use her unit, and create some of my own to go with it!
    Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome! My last 2 posts have been about penguins! You'll have to come check them out! I am your newest follower!

    BTW-How do you turn a portrait doc into a landscape one?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very Cute! I'm trying not think about what I'm going to do when I go back to school... but it's hard not to when everyone keeps posting their awesome ideas! Thank you for sharing.

    First Grade Delight
    imgoingfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I'm your newest follower! Cute blog!

    I recently set up centers for a new first grade teacher, so I'll email you some of those ideas if I see your email address on here.

    Let me know if you get it--they're all ideas that can be used week after week, and just have the words or sounds changed.

    I hope you'll check out my blog!

    Kelli
    Tales from a Traveling Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw the word 'skip' and thought this was a new way to teach skipping to 1st graders!! I love this activity and plan to use it for my kiddos who can't participate in P.E. so that, even though they might not be able to participate in P.E. with their body they can work out their brain!! Keep these great activities coming and I'll figure out a way to use them in my P.E. classes!! Thanks!! Unape

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute and a great review with our Penguin unit after Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing. They are very cute!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...